Welcome to Carrick-on-Shannon Community School
Welcome to the Carrick-on-Shannon Community School website. We invite you to browse the various pages to discover about the various programmes and events in our school.
Happy Birthday To Us!!
On the, 7th January 1995, the students and staff of Carrick-on-Shannon Community School began teaching and learning in our new school building.
Over the past twenty-five years, Carrick-on-Shannon Community School has become an integral part of the community and has gone from strength to strength.
While celebrating our birthday, we remember those who have shared parts of this journey with us but are no longer here to share this day with us.
Thank you for all your support over our first 25 years.
School Closure - 9th March 2020
Carrick-on-Shannon Community School will be closed to students on the 9th March 2020 in order to facilitate teacher training for the new Junior Cycle.
We have been informed of a case of Mumps among the 1st and 6th Year groups. As you know, there have been many cases of Mumps nationwide this year.
We have received a letter from the HSE with advice for parents/ guardians. The letter outlines the symptoms of Mumps and the actions parents/ guardians should take if they suspect that their child has contracted Mumps.
To access this letter, please click here.
BT Young Scientist Competition 2020
Congratulations to all 6 (yes - you read that correctly!) of our projects which successfully made it through to the BT Young Scientist Competition this year. The students were supported by thier teachers Ms. Creegan, Ms. Gallagher and Ms. Kelly.
The successful projects were:
- How colours effect brain perfromance in state exams - Sophie McCabe
- The lasting effects of Arigna Coal Mine on the environment - Hannah Stenson, Erica McTiernan
- Jack Restan Displays Award Winner
- Highly Commended, Intermediate Group: Chemical, Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Device to motivate children to clean up - Daniels Kasperovis
- Oh Deer, Damage? - Eimear Moran, Nicola Peck
- Does the area you live in have an impact to your perception of salt? - Wiktoria Weinert, Aislinn Smyth, Jonathan Casey
- An investigation into the effect of soil vibrations on soil biodiversity - Darragh O'Beirne, Emmett Regan, Iarlaith O'Brien.
- Highly Commended, Intermediate Group: Biological and Ecological Sciences
We are also delighted to congratulate Ms. Gallagher on winning the Perrigo Educator of Excellence Award in the area of Biological and Ecological Sciences.
'Use Your Brain Not Your Fists' Film Launch
We were privileged to attend the launch of the Use Your Brain Not Your Fists film in The Bush Hotel on the 27th April 2018.
The short film, by Leitrim Comhairle na nÓg, highlights the devastating consequences that can occur when a person uses their fists instead of their brains in a conflict situation. The film is dedicated to Shane Grogan and to the memory of Andrew Dolan. Both Andrew and Shane were victims of seperate unprovoked assaults while enjoying time out with their friends. Andrew died as a result of the assault while Shane was left with brain injuries. Both Shane's and Andrew's parents attended the launch and shared their personal stories with us.
Please click on the link to watch the video and remind everyone to Use Your Brain Not Your Fists.
Carrick-on-Shannon C.S. - Learning at the heart of our community.
Co. Leitrim. N41 VX63.
Phone: 071 9620880
Fax: 071 9621703