The Transition Year is a one year course between the Junior and Leaving Certificate and is fully recognised and supported by the Dept of Education and Skills. It offers students a broad educational experience, fostering increased maturity before proceeding to further study. It endeavours to help students bridge the gap between a highly structured examination orientated learning environment to a more autonomous self-directed one.
- To give students the necessary skills and supports to develop their own individual gifts and strengths
- To help students become more independent
- To experience a year where the emphasis will be on individual responsibility and the nurturing of thinking, caring, articulate and self-confident people.
The Aims of the Transition Year Programme are as follows:
- Education for maturity with a special emphasis on social awareness and increased social competence.
- Education through experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
- Promotion of general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self directed learning.
Students will be engaged in a series of learning activities which will help them develop a range of transferable thinking and creative problem solving skills. At the end of the Transition Year, students should be in a better position to make well informed and mature decisions regarding their Leaving Certificate subject choices or career path options. Students in Transition Year will engage in a wide variety of teaching and learning styles including negotiated learning, activity based learning, group work, project work, research methods, visiting speakers and outside school trips.
Co. Leitrim. N41 VX63.
Phone: 071 9620880
Fax: 071 9621703