Leaving Certificate 2021
Leaving Certificate 2021
The Minister for Education, Norma Foley T.D, has confirmed that Leaving Certificate 2021 examinations will proceed and students will also have the alternative option of applying for grades accredited by the State Examinations Commission. These will be known as SEC-Accredited Grades.
The SEC has already published the Leaving Certificate Timetable and the LCA Timetable 2021 and it is available through the following link:
The LC and the LCA Examinations will commence on the 9th June 2021, subject to public health advice.
We have received the following information from the SEC:
Key Points to Note:
- Students will have the option of whether to sit the examinations, receive SEC Accredited Grades, or both, on a subject by subject basis.
- Students who opt for both will have their better grades in each subject reflected in their results.
- Students will be required to register on the student portal; confirm their subject and level entry details; opt for the examinations and/ or to receive SEC Accredited Grades. THE SEC's Candidate Portal is expected to open in the week of the 8th March 2021 to allow students to make their choices. Further details will be issued in advance.
- There will be no fees payable for the 2021 examinations and no fees for SEC Accredited Grades.
- It is intedned that the results of both the examinations and the SEC Accredited Grades processes will issue to students within the required timeframe for progression to higher and further education in Ireland.
- The completion schedule for project work will issue to schools in the coming weeks.
Construction Studies & Engineering: We understand that there will be no day practical examination. Students wishing to sit the Leaving Certificate in these subjects must complete the project element of the course. The marks weighting from the day exam will be transferred to the project. Project marked as normal.
The following indicative dates have been provided by the Department of Education:
- May 28th – Schools will close for all students to allow the final week for completion of alignment process and data entry related to SEC Accredited Grades by schools.
- June 4th – Closing date for schools to enter/return all data from the school to the SEC relating to SEC Accredited Grades.
- June 9th – Written Leaving Certificate examinations to commence in schools.
- The SEC will issue revised dates for submission of Leaving Certificate course work and the scheduling/arrangements for LCA tasks and interviews in the coming days and weeks.
6th Year Assembly February 2021
For quick access to this and updated information re the Leaving Certificate, please download the SZApp from Google Play or IOS App Store and click on the LC21 tile.